Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Q&A

The following are just a few of the questions I've frequently been asked when explaining our plans to thru-hike:


Q:''Will there be any bears? Mountain lions? What if they attack you?!?''
A: Yes, there will be plenty of bears, mountain lions, coyotes, snakes, scorpions, marmots, black flies, maybe even BIG FOOT ;), etc!  We are going into there domain after all. And if they attack? Well, I suppose anything is possible. Although, we're going to take the proper measures to avoid any nasty encounters (bear bags, leave no trace, etc). And in the unfortunate circumstance that still doesn't work, well my personal philosophy on life is that what's meant to happen will happen. I am by no means looking for trouble, but if I happens, well that's out of my hands. 


Q.''You're bringing a gun, right?!''
A. No. That would be way too much of a liability. We are going to be sharing the trail with other hikers, and we do not want that responsibility...God forbid it got stolen, misfired, lost, broken. Just, no.''


Q.''Are you guys going to hunt for your food?''
A. Luckily, no. Every 4-10 days we will be hitchhiking (yes, I said hitchhiking...) about 30 miles to the nearest ''Trail town'' where we re-supply on food, toiletries, and anything else we need. OOOH..wait...In some areas we will be able to fish! YUMM!


Q.''Are you training?''
A. Yes and No. Mentally, we are beyond prepared. At this point it's torture waiting for the day we board the plane, haha. Physically, we are fit and already active on a daily basis. Between trail running, rock climbing, and day hikes I'm not worried that we will be fine. Obviously will be sore, but we're going to start off slow, and get our ''hiker legs'' from there. I never understood why some hikers want to do 30-50 mile days. We've put way too much into this to have to fly by. 


Q.''Are you bringing deodorant, perfume, shampoo, blowdryers?''
A. No way, Jose. There's absolutely no point. We are going to be smelly and dirty hikers. That's just all part of the fun! :) ''


Q.''When do you shower?"
A. In towns.


Q.''Are you afraid?''
A. Absolutely not. Excited, anxious, and happy is more like it!!! I don't anticipate the trip will be nothing but flowers and butterflies, there will be low points of course. Feet covered in blisters, sore muscles, missing my family, etc...but that will only account for a small percentage of my mindset. WE'RE DOING THIS BECAUSE WE WANT TO. And I'll be damned if we don't embrace it's glory.


Q. ''You're going with a BIG group right?''
A. No, just me and my boyfriend to start. We're going to meet a lot of great people along the way, and most likely will fall into a group of hikers that have the same tempo and that we enjoy being around. But as for doing the trip with my boyfriend, I wouldn't want to have this experience with anyone else. He is my best friend, and I can't wait to spend 5 whole months with him day in and day out :) 


& my all time favorite... 
Q.''Why would you want to do that?''
HMMMmmmMM. For this question I am going to insert a passage that I wrote a few months ago...


A. I had a conversation with a gentlemen the other day that really irked me. Most people automatically assume that I'm enrolled in college because of my age. Which I find a little disconcerting simply because I try not to assume anything about anybody. I've learned first impressions are usually wrong (in my experiences at least) and by automatically passing judgments on others because of there age, looks, education, etc. you really put yourself at a disadvantage to meeting some really wonderful people. Anyways, this member at the fitness club I work at asked me if I was in school. When I told him no, and of my plans to through hike, he practically rolled his eyes at me and said in a rude tone, ''I'm not even going to go there.'' Well, I knew where he was going with it and did not let the conversation end there. I asked him his opinion, as to which he responded that I would never go back to school if I don't go NOW, and that the hike was a waste of valuable time. What bothered me most about what he said was something that I’m finding more and more common. People seem to think that there’s this certain path to success that one must take, other wise they will never amount to anything. It goes something like this: Graduate High School, go to college, get a career, buy a house, get married, have kids, retire, and die. That path may be fulfilling for some people, but not me. Sure, I want to have a family one day and be successful, but not in the way or order that people like him think. If I have the opportunity to see the world in a way that most people could only dream of, be in the best shape of my life, have no concern for the mundane- only survival, meet life long friends, and have more life experiences in 6 months than I have had in my 20 years, than I am not foolish. Rather, I am doing something I love, and am going to have a life changing experience as a result of it. Success and a fulfilling life are not measured by how many degrees you have on your wall, it’s putting yourself out there in this beautiful world and seeing, breathing, living, learning through nature, people, different cultures, your friends and loved ones, that truly matters. For me, anyway. But, for the most part, when I tell people of my plans, people are supportive and in awe of the feat I have taken upon myself. It’s that support and love that’s going to get me through life happily. If any family members of through hikers are reading this, or anyone who has hopes to hike but is having doubts, please just open your minds. What we’re planning on doing is not foolish just because it’s not the typical path. Everybody thru-hikes for there own reasons. Whatever they may be, they are invaluable. I’m going to leave you with a quote my yoga instructor recites at the end of each class, it goes, ‘’No judgment. No attachment. Let go, just breathe. Namaste.’’


-Felecia

2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy. I just wanted to say how much I admire you for doing this. It sounds like such an amazing experience and I'm incredibly jealous. It's refreshing to see somebody following their heart and actually doing what they want to do in life rather than following the same path that most people seem to take because they think they have to. Your attitude and outlook on life is extremely admirable and you deserve all the happiness and success in the world. Best of luck with everything, I'll keep reading the blog! - Kristian :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Kristian you're the best!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete