Saturday, April 21, 2012

So long, farewell...


Friends Chelsey and Tim 

My friend Lee and I

I've spent so much time in the past 7 months of planning focusing on getting the right gear, having enough money saved up, and the trail itself that I didn't even think of the day I'd have to say goodbye to everyone!!


Last Saturday Michael and I had our going away party with our friends, yesterday my soon to be ex employer through me a surprise party (thank you by the way!!!), tonight we're having a small farewell dinner with our closest friends, and tomorrow is our family dinner! Ay yi yi! That's a lot of food, hugs, & tears!
Saying goodbye has not only reminded me how many great people we have in our lives, but has almost refreshed my sense of excitement! Not that I haven't been excited this entire time, 
don't get me wrong. But just knowing that we have soooo much love and support from friends, loved ones, and complete strangers has given me a little more sense of pride in what we're doing. There were brief moments where I questioned if what we were doing was selfish, but now I have no doubt that it's the complete opposite. Not only are we bettering ourselves as a result of the hike but we're doing this for the people that can't. And when we're tired/hungry/sore and cranky we will remember how extremely blessed we are to even have the opportunity to be doing this. In the grand scheme of things out of the 8 billion people that live in this world we are just two of a few thousand that have done what we're doing. BILLIONS VS. THOUSANDS. What?
Michael and myself with the PCT map :D


*** I would also like to give a special thanks to everyone who has gone out of their way and written us thoughtful letters/cards/given us food packages/first aid kits/ etc. It means the world to us!!!!! We couldn't ask for better friends. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!


-Felecia

No comments:

Post a Comment